The Canadian Music Competition is pleased to announce the names of the 12 semi-finalists who have advanced to the next round of the Stepping Stone.
- Jeanne Amièle, Montréal, Piano
- Marie Bégin, Québec, Violin
- Alberta Brown, Toronto, Flute
- Catherine Chabot, Montréal, Flute
- Clara Chartré, Montréal, Violin
- Jung Yun (Christina) Choi, Thornhill, Violin
- David Dias Da Silva, Montreal, Clarinet
- Bruce Gaulin, Québec, Piano
- Felix Hong, Montréal, Piano
- Nicole Linaksita, North Vancouver, Piano
- Justin Joon Kee Min, Richmond Hill, Piano
- Michael Morimoto, Vancouver, Saxophone
These outstanding musicians represent the 12 highest-scorers of the 28 competitors who participated in the first elimination round on June 12-15 at the Maison des arts Desjardins, in Drummondville.
They will perform in the semi-final round of competition on June 17 and 18 at Léo-Paul-Therrien Concert Hall, at Maison des arts Desjardins. Detailed schedule here.
The top six from the next round will advance to the Final, which takes place on June 20, at the same venue.
Prizes and Scholarships
First Prize Canimex Group*: $10,000
Second Prize UL Mutual: $5,000
Third Prize Pianos Bolduc Montréal: $2,500
Prize for the best performance of the original work by Canadian composer Simon Bertrand: $1,000
All other finalists will receive a scholarship of $1,000 each, one of which will be offered by Canadian Tire of Drummondville.
* First Prize also includes Invitation to perform at the 2016 CMC’s Gala Concert with the Orchestre symphonique de Drummondville July 5, 2016, Maison des arts Desjardins
Additional prizes for recipients of the first three places:
- $5,000 career support scholarship offered by the Jeunesses Musicales Canada Foundation
- Three-week residency at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity in 2017
- Guest soloist in 2017-18 concert series of the Chapelle historique du Bon-Pasteur
The winners’ final Gala concert with the participation of the Orchestre symphonique de Drummondville and conductor Julien Proulx will be held on Tuesday July 5th at 7pm in the Léo-Paul Therrien concert hall of the Maison des arts Desjardins Drummondville.
The CMC warmly thanks the Canimex Group, its main sponsor for this 2016 edition and partner since more than 40 years.
The CMC also thanks Steinway & Sons, UL Mutual, Soprema, Ville de Drummondville, Canadian Tire of Drummondville, Jeunesses Musicales Canada Foundation, Maison des arts Desjardins Drummondville, Cégep de Drummondville, The Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity and the Chapelle historique du Bon-Pasteur.