After an intense week, two recitals and a concerto, the Canadian Music Competition is very proud to announce the winners of the 2014 Stepping Stone.
- 1st Prize: Kerson Leong - violin - Ottawa, ON
- Canimex First Prize: $10,000
- Prize for the best interpretation of a Canadian work: $1,000
- Three-week residency at the Banff Centre
- Guest soloist in the 2014 CMC Gala Concert - with the Orchestre symphonique de Québec on July 5.
- 2nd Prize: Yolanda Bruno - violin - Ottawa, ON
- Yamaha Second Prize: $5,000
- 3rd Prize: Jean-Luc Therrien - piano - Repentigny, QC
- Fondation Gilles Chatel Third Prize: $2,500
The other finalists, Eleanor Kendra James, Luri Lee, and Jacqueline Woodley each won a $1,000 scholarship offered by Laframboise Gutkin and PolyExpert.
We wish to sincerely thank Canimex, major sponsor of the 2014 Stepping Stone and CMC, and its president, Mr. Roger Dubois, for their immense generosity. A big thanks also to Yamaha, long-time partner of the CMC; thank you for the wonderful piano loaned to the Stepping Stone. Sincere thanks also to the Banff Centre, Fondation Gilles Chatel, Laframboise Gutkin and PolyExpert.
We also wish to thank the judges of the 2014 Stepping Stone for their kindness and generosity: Michael Donovan, Louise Forand-Samson, Marie-Catherine LaPointe, Helmut Lipsky and Peter Tiefenbach, thank you! And of course, many thanks to Don Pangman, chairman, and Beulah Blain, head of auditions, as well as all the Toronto committee volunteers… your help was most appreciated!