Candidates registered for any Strings category between 16 and 25 years old must include in their entire musical program works from three out of five of the following periods: baroque, classical, romantic, modern and contemporary. The etude (or caprice) is considered as representative of a period.
The musical program of the first round must include contrasting works and movements so that the candidate’s musicality can be heard in various tempi (slow and fast).
- One caprice or one etude chosen from the list of etudes and caprices.
- J.S. Bach: One movement of a work for solo instrument.
- One movement of either a sonata or a concerto from the classical period.
- One work or a group of movements or one movement of your choice.
- One work with orchestra or one movement or a group of movements.